Monday, August 16, 2004

PC Games This Fall

Here's what I'm looking forward to this fall.

September: Half-Life 2, Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, Kohan II: Kings of War, Full Spectrum Warrior, Silent Hunter III, Rome: Total War, Evil Genius.

I'd be looking forward to Superpower 2, but these complex geopolitical sims seem to be getting to the point where they're never actually playable. The original Superpower, after about nine months of patches, still had problems. So I'm not sure anyone actually finishes a game like this anymore.

October: Men of Valor, Pacific Fighters, Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines.

November: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Ghost Recon 2, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, Prince of Persia 2, Sid Meier's Pirates.

I'm not including online games or sports games in this list. Online games, because I'll play one until I get to level 18 and then quit, and no sports games to have mercy on those of you who are sick of hearing about them.

It's the thinnest year I've ever seen for PC releases. Everything that's scheduled to ship this fall would have to actually make it for this to be a decent year, and we know that won't happen. At least a third of these games, maybe even half, will be pushed into 2005.

Here's my top five, in case you're wondering.
1. Half-Life 2
2. Rome: Total War
3. Pirates
4. Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines
5. Pacific Fighters


Site Meter