Friday, August 20, 2004

The Sims 2

I was asked via e-mail why I didn't put The Sims 2 on the Anticipation List. That's certainly the one big game that I left off the list, and I'd like to get excited about it, but I just can't. I thought The Sims was great for about ten hours or so, but as my character settled down into the humdrum repetition of real life, I suddenly realized that I was playing a discouragement simulator.

That's too bad, because I really like Will Wright. He's one of the few people I'd call a visionary designer. I saw him at E3 once, and mumbled a few words of thanks for the entertainment he'd given me over the years. No rock-star hair, no entourage, just a quiet guy who looked like he would have been more comfortable not being recognized at all. If I had known, I never would have bothered him, but I think it made me identify even more strongly with him.

So I'll buy The Sims 2, out of respect, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a few hours, but at some point I think my interest will fall off a cliff, just like it did with the first game.

Site Meter