Monday, September 20, 2004

I Know You Are, But What Am I?

First off, I heard from several industry-related sources saying that there was no way Half-Life 2 would be released before late October, at the very earliest.

Thanks to Jeff Pinard for sending me this link:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/20/news_6107712.html.
It provides the details of Half-Life 2: The Lawsuit Edition.

Basically, here's what happened. Valve sued Sierra in 2002 because Sierra was placing Valve games (Counter-strike, I assume) in Internet cafes, which Valve maintains violated their licensing agreement.

Vivendi countersued, claiming that Valve obtained certain online distribution rights for Half-Life 2 by misrepresenting (or, in some cases, hiding) the development of Steam and Valve's future intentions for the technology.

The link is good, dirty reading. Valve seems to have managed to pretty much piss off everybody they've come in contact with in the last year--customers, publishers, pizza delivery boys (I'm extrapolating). I would not be surprised at all if people in the industry are secretly hoping that Half-Life 2 falls on its face.

Not that it will.

Site Meter