Wednesday, September 15, 2004

The Sims 2, Fable

I haven't spent enough time with The Sims 2 to make any kind of honest evaluation of the game. It looks much, much nicer, there are far more options for just about everything, and it runs like a pig. I know I called The Sims a 'discouragement simulator' not long ago, but I highly respect Will Wright and I'll buy every game he makes until he stops making them.

I feel the same way about Peter Molyneux. His failures would be the crowning achievement of most other designer's careers. Fable (Xbox) is very much a console RPG. That's not a bad thing, just a piece of information for level setting if you're interested in the game. The graphics are a bit of a disappointment, the sound is absolutely superb, and the world and its atmosphere are very, very engaging. It also has a very personal, intimate feel.

Will Wright and Peter Molyneux share an interesting trait, which is that they both envision games that can't really be fully realized by existing technology. I don't discredit them for it--the expansiveness of their visions just goes beyond what can currently be supported. But techonology is advancing far faster than our imaginations, and when the two reach a level plane, the games will be wondrous.

I also bought Shellshock: Nam '67. I have no idea why. It showed up on my porch today and I had one of those "I ordered THAT?" moments. I'll try to take a look at it in the next few days, but there is suddenly so much to play that it's going to be on a very short leash.

Site Meter