Friday, October 20, 2006

Gamer Dad

This is an odd story, really.

Andrew Bub has operated the Gamer Dad website for several years (I believe it started in 2003, if I remember correctly). It looks at gaming from a parent's perspective, and it offers plenty of content. It's not a one-man operation, and it's established.

So Microsoft started a column at Xbox.com this week called--Gamer Dad. Based on its stated objectives, it seems to basically be duplicating the mission of the Gamer Dad website.

Oh, and Andrew was savvy enough to trademark the phrase "Gamer Dad" a while back, apparently.

I don't know anything about trademark law, so I don't know if this is an actionable infringement (although I know some of you guys do, and you'll advise me after reading this). But I'm baffled as to why Microsoft wouldn't do some simple research (like typing in www.gamerdad.com to their freaking web browser) before using the name. Do they just enjoy writing checks?

If I hear from any lawyers specializing in trademark law (I know you're out there), I'll post an update.

Site Meter