Friday, March 30, 2007

And Then There Were Sixteen

Okay, we're in the final round now.

123 entries made it in before the deadline. That's a decent-sized contest, especially considering that it was much more complicated than just sending in an e-mail. You guys put over 1,000 plays on Graham Wilkinson & the Underground Township's Myspace Music page yesterday, so thank you very much.

I've been trying to figure out an easier way to run these contests than examining the answers for every single entry, and I think I finally figured out something fair. For the 92 entries that came in before 8 p.m. CST on Wednesday, I assigned them two "entries" into the contest drawing. So the first entry in the contest was assigned numbers 1 and 2. The second entry was assigned numbers 3 and 4, etc. The other 31 (that came in after the two-point deadline) got one entry each.

Then I generated 16 random numbers in Excel between 0 and 215 (the total number of entry "points"). 16 entrants were selected that way. It was only at that point that I checked their answers, and if anyone missed a question (3 people out of that group did), I generated another random number and selected another entrant (and checked their answers).

In other words, instead of having to check 123 sets of answers, I only had to check 19. It saved me a ton of time and it's probably what I'll do in the future.

By the way, here are the answers:
1. In the song "Velcro Rainbow," which instrument do you NOT hear?
--organ
--bass
--harmonica (correct answer)
--I hear all of them

3. In the song "Let it Go," the lyrics say laugh until what?
Life makes sense.

3. Which of the songs has both a gospel-sounding organ section and an apocalyptic guitar solo (near the end)?Note: don't overthink this question. The guitar solo in question is completely unlike anything you'll hear in the other three songs. And seriously, how often does a band do anything this cool?
Falling Down

4. In the song "Bird Booze Reggae," there is a trumpet solo. Yes or no?
No.

Yes, there were two #3 questions and no #2. Occam's Razor would point to me being stupid as the culprit, and once again, the Razor is correct.

So here are the final sixteen:
Ian Dorsch
JC Fedorczyk
Dylan Nichols
Michael Grimm
Ernie
Brendan
Kyle Miller
Duncan Monro
David Gloier
Kai
Adam Harvey
Don Barree
Eduardo X
Christopher Harbin
Brett Kugler
shm_bradley

I'll post the winners about 11 a.m. CST, and if you're a winner, please send me your shipping address as soon as possible so I can place the order before end of day today.

Site Meter