Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Drunken Mix Tape, Vol. 1

Here's the current song list announced for the Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's (PS2).

18 and Life (as made famous by Skid Row)
Bathroom Wall (as made famous by Faster Pussycat)
Lonely is the Night (as made famous by Billy Squier)
Nothing But a Good Time (as made famous by Poison)
Play With Me (as made famous by Extreme)
Shaken (as made famous by Eddie Money)
Synchronicity II (as made famous by Police)
Twisted Sister -- I Wanna Rock
Flock of Seagulls -- I Ran
Ratt -- Round and Round
Bow Wow Wow -- I Want Candy
Quiet Riot -- Metal Health
Dio -- Holy Diver
Asia -- Heat Of The Moment


I know there was a bit of a downgrade in song quality from Guitar Hero to Guitar Hero II (at least in my mind), but this is like a freefall. Poison? Flock of Seagulls? Ratt?

Not to mention Asia. That definitely made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Seriously, if this set list proves anything, it's what we already knew: the 80's was shit for rock music. It was the glory years for hair bands--which, I'm guessing, was made possible by the explosion of music videos in the late 70's-early 80's.

Even if I get 100% on "I Ran," I guarantee that it will still not feel cool. And while the guitar on "I Want Candy" is interesting, the song isn't.

So this may be the first Guitar Hero content that I don't purchase, which would be a signature non-moment for me. I think they would have been much better served putting out a Blues expansion--thousands of great, great songs to choose from, far more interesting guitar riffs, and the cool factor is about a million times higher.

And if you saw Poison at Six Flags, thank you in advance for not sending me a photo of the t-shirt you purchased.

Site Meter