Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Blade Runner: The Final Cut

I finally got to watch the HD-DVD version of Blade Runner last night.

You know, the dead HD format and everything.

Everything I say, though, should apply to the Blu-Ray version as well, based on what I've read about its image quality.

Blade Runner, to me, is one of the greatest science fiction movies ever made, and a brilliant examination of the question at the core of all great science fiction: what does it mean to be human?

I've seen the movie at least ten times in its various incarnations over the last twenty-five years, which means I've seen it more times than any other movie ever made. Every single time I watch it, though, I notice something new.

This time? An origami chicken. I can't believe I missed that so many times, particularly in the context in which it was presented.

This high-definition version is, finally, a transfer worthy of the film. It was a thrill to see such stunning clarity in the print--truly amazing for a film of its age. And it "feels" like the most complete version, at least to me.

If you've never seen this film, you're missing out on a critically important piece of cinematic history. And if you have, you owe it to yourself to see this version in all its high-definition glory.

Amazon links:
Blu-Ray
HD-DVD

Site Meter