Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Eli 7.3

I took Eli 7.3 out to dinner last week. On the way home, he said "Dad, can I have a dessert when we get home?"

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Can I have a yogurt?" he asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Can I have Fun Dip?" Fun Dip is basically powdered candy.

"No," I said. "And no."

"Darn it!" he said, laughing.

"That's not a bad strategy, though," I said. "Start with something you know you can get, then try to get something better. That might work."

"Thanks!" he said.
***

On Saturday morning, we went to the grocery store and there was a row of those little plastic junk machines by the entrance. Every few weeks, I'll give him fifty cents to get something, and he saw a little machine that said "Stuffed Pets." There were several little stuffed animals in the front of the machine (duck, dog, cat, etc.), and they looked pretty good, so he put in his two quarters and pulled the handle.

Out popped a little heart-shaped purple pillow that said "LOVE."

Eli looked at it, then turned it over in his hands for a minute. "Dad, why did I get this?" he asked. "This isn't a PET--it's a PHILOSOPHY."

Site Meter