Thursday, December 25, 2008

Commando For The Holidays

"Dad, come check this out." Eli 7.4 is holding up a Voldemort action figure, part of his Christmas haul.

"What is it, dude?" I ask.

"Look." Eli holds Voldemort up toward me, feet first. No tightie whities for the ultimate evil. In fact, no underwear of any kind.

"Voldemort's going commando?" I ask, bewildered.

"I see England, I see France, Voldemort isn't wearing underpants," Gloria said. Eli started laughing, and so did I, because that rhyme never gets old.

Fortunately, there was no Learing Penis of Evilâ„¢ under Voldemort's robe, either.

***
Eli's started using reverse psychology.

We were going to Fry's on Sunday, and there's a little quarter machine near the exit that is filled with little rubber Ninjas. "Dad, can I get a ninja?" he asked.

"Yes," I said.

"Can I get TWO?" he asked.

"No," I said.

"THANK you," he said. He says it in this hilarious, ironic way, and it cracks me up every time.

***
We were walking into Macy's Tuesday night, and when Eli heard the music playing inside the store, he started dancing.

Eli's dancing looks kind of like a seizure, except in a very happy way.

So he dances like this for about ten seconds, totally happy, and then he shouts "HERE I COME, WORLD!"

***
Eli's using two new phrases now.

When he's surprised, he says "SWEET MOTHER OF ABRAHAM LINCOLN!"

Now that I type that, I'm not sure that's even new.

When he's disappointed by something, he says "BARNACLES!"

***
I'm not big on Christmas tradition, because I'm a tech person (like many of you). To us, "tradition" just means "thirty percent slower."

I'm a big fan, though, of ad hoc Christmas events.

Last night, we were driving home about 7:30 p.m., and Eli suddenly shouted "TURN RIGHT!"

So I did.

A few houses down, there were seven Christmas inflatables in a single yard. I can't even begin to imagine that guy's electric bill.

We decided to just drive around and look at Christmas lights for a while. Eli was the designated spotter. We decided that people who use those creepy frost-blue lights are probably vampires or some other form of the undead, and then we went home.

Happy holidays to you all.

Site Meter