Thursday, June 18, 2009

Red Faction: Guerilla (360) #3

I finished Red Faction: Guerilla, and I think I enjoyed the last third of the game even more. So RFG takes its place, quite rightly, in my Hall Of Fame, which is quite a small place, even though I've been playing games for over twenty years.

I can't remember the last time I played a game that was so consistently fun all the way through. The designers absolutely knew what they wanted this game to be, and they absolutely succeeded. The average review score of 85 for this game on Metacritic is just laughable--this is a 95, at least, one of those games that comes along once a year (if we're lucky).

Here's one more note, and I was reminded to mention this by a reader who e-mailed yesterday with the same experience. It's possible to change difficulty during the game, if you need to, but if you haven't started playing yet, I'd highly recommend beginning on the lowest difficulty. This game is all about adrenaline, and dying is a buzzkill. You'll still die on the lowest difficulty, and you'll still need to play intelligently, but you'll die less often, and you can do much more experimentation, which is what makes this game so much fun.

I've also decided that, going forward, every game should be required by law to have a jet pack. First-person shooter? Must have a jet pack. Cooking simulation? Must have a jet pack. Sports game? Must have a jet pack.

It's not me. It's the law.

Site Meter