Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Gaming Links

Andrew B sent me a link to the largest collection of information on gaming programmers I've ever seen: The Giant List Of Classic Game Programmers. Here's a description:
This is a Who's Who of classic game programmers, where "classic" generally refers to "8-bit" (Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 800, Commodore 64, etc).

If you want to know what anyone from that era worked on, you'll find it there.

Malek Annabi sent me a fascinating link to a public school in New York that has included games as part of their curriculum. Here's an excerpt:
In one sample curriculum, students create a graphic novel based on the epic Babylonian poem "Gilgamesh," record their understanding of ancient Mesopotamian culture though geographer and anthropologist journals, and play the strategic board game "Settlers of Catan." Google Earth comes into play as a tool to explore the regions of ancient Mesopotamia.

Clearly, I went to the wrong damn school. Here's the full article.

DQ reader Dave Kramer of Busy Gamer News posted a brief article this week about singing harmonies in The Beatles: Rock Band. This doesn't help me, because I am entirely unable to sing, but it explains the details for those of you who can (some of which are not entirely intuitive). Read it here.

I saw this over at Joystiq today: a Half-Life 2 mod that replaces all the sound effects with effects recorded by one guy. Using his own voice. It's completely pointless, but it just got funnier and funnier the longer I watched the video. Have a look for yourself.

Site Meter