Friday, June 04, 2010

Friday Links!

First off, this must be the greatest drumming video I've ever seen, and by "great" I mean "horrifyingly bad." It's a cover band performing ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man," and this video is so disturbing in so many ways that I highly recommend you have a memory-erasing drug at hand.

Having said that, though, I also laughed so hard that I almost fell out of my chair. The laughter effect is cumulative, much like arsenic.

Here's a great moment in gun safety, courtesy of Steve Davey: Man accidentally shoots himself in testicles. Dude felt like he needed to be strapped up walking through a Loew's Home Improvement store. Well considered, sir.

Here's a fascinating Jalopnik link from Shane Courtrille: How The U.S. Government Killed The Safest Car Ever Built.

Here's a link to an amazing piece of technology: an autonomous quadrocopter. The video is quite spectacular.

From Sirius, a link to a story about a breakthrough in the treatment of Ebola. Also, a century after his death (per his specifications), Mark Twain's autobiography is going to be published.

From The Edwin Garcia Links Machine, a fantastic animated short: RSA Animate - The Secret Powers of Time. Also animated are New Short Films From Jacques Khouri/. Finally, do you remember the Star Wars Kid? Well, now he's a lawyer.

From Glen Haag, it's every statistic you wanted to know about Internet *orn but were afraid to ask.

From Ian Anderson, and this is both amazing technology and very Big Brother-ish at the same time, it's electrical network frequency analysis.

From Dib, and this is quite beautiful, a time-lapse video of the creation of a sand mandala, and if you've never seen one, it's spectacular.

I think I've linked to this in the past, but it's so clever that I'm going to do it again. DQ reader My Wife sent in a link to the automated ball-throwing machine built to entertain a pet dachsund. I guess that's implied, really--there aren't a bunch of wild dachsunds running around in packs.

From Jesse Leimkuehler, a story about a Russian simulation of a voyage to Mars.

This is pure genius: Fraunhofer developing bike helmets that stink when damaged.

Site Meter