Tuesday, October 04, 2011

More Encyclopedia Comments

I forgot to include two comments yesterday.

First, from DQ Fitness Advisor Doug Walsh:
We had a set of Encyclopedia Brittanica. They were in my bedroom and I used them whenever I had homework during elementary school. I’d flip through them on rainy days. Read some random entries and just be amazed. And the smell.... that smell has indeed vanished from the world. Shame.

But what I used the encyclopedias for most, however, was as weights for making forts with my brother. A few EB volumes atop each corner of a blanket spread across the room made for an excellent fort.

Later, as we got older and I began to hate sharing a bedroom with him, I’d prop a volume or two atop a partially opened bedroom door so it would fall on him when he entered. Good times!

Next, from Steve West:
We inherited an old set of world books when I was a kid. My mom used to come in every night and force me to stop reading them. This fact is the source of endless fun-making at my expense, but now I have such an incredible love of knowledge, and I can’t help but think that all of those hours studying the world book contributed.

Also, I learned to read under my covers with a flashlight.

Site Meter