Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tech

I wrote a post a few months ago about how excited I was about the Oculus Rift. Virtual reality with one of the smartest guys in the world (John Carmack) driving development. HD resolution, OLED display, and geniuses.

What could possibly go wrong?

Well, Facebook could buy the company, for one. Damn it!

Facebook, to me, represents everything that is wrong and invasive  with social media. It's "bad Internet". I like companies whose vision is aligned with the greater good of their customers. It's impossible to argue that Facebook is one of those companies.

Plus, it's not even the future. Everyone Eli 12.7s age uses Instagram, not Facebook. Oh, wait, Facebook bought Instagram in 2012.

They're an octopus.

If Google had bought Oculus Rift, I would have been thrilled. Or Amazon. Even IBM would have been better than Facebook.

So my confidence level in the future for Oculus Rift has plummeted. It's so much more brilliant than Facebook that I don't see any way it can be beneficial. It can't lift Oculus Rift up.

It could have been worse, I guess. It could have been Zynga.

Also, NVIDIA announced the  Titan Z videocard. It's a beast:
The Z packs dual Kepler GPUs specifically designed to operate in perfect power and performance harmony. It also keeps cutting-edge games (like those using Unreal Engine 4) running smoothly at up to 5K resolution and on multiple monitors thanks to 12GB of dedicated memory. 

That's incredible, and it was also described as "cool and quiet" (how I don't know). Oh, yeah--it costs $3,000, but that's not important. What's important is that in three to four years, this kind of tech is going to cost about $400 and we're going to have it in our desktops.

Elder Scrolls at 5k resolution, anyone?


Site Meter