Tuesday, April 01, 2014

This Explains It Quite Well

I've always thought Tycho's news posts were as important to Penny Arcade as the strips. He wrote this yesterday, and I think it describes a certain kind of personality type (that I belong to) better than anything else I've ever read.

We lived together very well, back when we did, because we knew when to be together and when to be apart.  It was a trick we could pull off even in the same room, in adjacent chairs.  We knew how to “give space” under conditions where giving space wasn’t technically possible.  Most of the time we spend together, nobody is talking.  That’s why I have generally said that we are not friends; I think of a friend as being someone who is present.  What we offer each other is solitude without loneliness.

Site Meter