Thursday, June 19, 2014

Rain

I was at my satellite office--P. Terry's--this morning, and a woman with two small children sat down close to me (I really need a cubicle). As they were eating breakfast, one of the little girls noticed the sandpit outside and became very excited.

"Mommy, mommy, I want to go play in the sand!" Her mother didn't respond, and the little girl repeated this a few times.

Finally, her mom said, "We can't go play in the sand right now. It's raining."

Hearing that, I looked up. I had no idea it was raining. So I looked outside, and it was absolutely NOT raining. Not even close.

That made me wonder if things like "rain", for small children, are dependent on their parent's interpretation of present conditions. At what age, I wonder, can they evaluate that for themselves?


Site Meter