Thursday, January 22, 2015

Gridiron Solitaire Number Unknown: Scoreboards and Bug Reports

I think we've almost reached the point of agreeing on the new scoreboard, and I thought you guys might be interested in the process.

Have a look at Fredrik's first image:


We started lobbing ideas back and forth. I focused on the announcer first, wanting to lower his position by having the text ticker start next to his body. Plus, I wanted Fredrik to try extending the second layer of the scoreboard horizontally to that there would be a larger difference in height between the scoreboard tiers. Here was the next iteration:


That was heading in a good direction, but the scoreboard width of the second tier wasn't working. So Fredrik lowered the height of that tier, added the video board (since it will now be displayed all the time instead of sharing the space for text messages), and here's the result:


I thought about this particular image. I liked it, but something was nagging at me. Phil, one of my favorite beta testers, looked at the image and suggested different scoreboards for different stadiums. That's a great idea, but object placement would kill me, so I started thinking about how it would be possible to customize the scoreboard.

I went to look at some stadium pictures on the web and I quickly realized something important: the unique identifying mark of most scoreboards is a top tier above the data where the stadium or team name is displayed.

Well, duh. Why didn't I think of that before?


When the video board is added, it will display flush with the top of the field. And that custom border at the top is going to be unique for each stadium. There's enough room up there to do all kinds of cool things, and it's going to be a separate visual element, so it's easy to change without changing the scoreboard element itself.

That may not exactly be how it's going to look, but it's close. I'm still trying to figure out if I could incorporate the home team's primary colors into the scoreboard itself (easy to do, technically, but would it mess up the display of data in combination with certain colors? That would be a big problem with some of the more garish colors). So that's still in process.

One more thing. Fredrik sent me a card redesign, and it is drop-dead sexy. Have a look:


Yes, I totally love that look. Twelve more to go!

Site Meter