Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Innovation

We have so much time driving to/from the rink, and so many enjoyable conversations, that I'm thinking seriously about recording the drives and editing down the audio to 3-5 minute excerpts. Not exactly a podcast, but we talk about some things live that I can't really capture.

Like this. But I'll try.

Eli 15.0 had just finished a workout with his trainer, and we were on our way back home. It's really something to see him pushing 250 lbs. on one of those weight sleds, or deadlifting 200+ pounds.

He weighs 137 lbs., soaking wet.

"I have an idea for a gym," I said.

"What's that?" he asked.

"Here's the problem with gyms," I said. "You have these huge guys lifting massive amounts of weight, and it's incredibly impressive, but what about guys like me?"

"Not so much," Eli said.

"Exactly," I said. "Not very impressive when I'm putting plates on the bar that are the size of a tiny Frisbee. Why can't everybody feel like they're lifting massive amounts of weight?"

"I'm listening," he said.

"So here's the concept," I said. "This gym will have huge plates, but they're all going to weigh almost nothing."

He started laughing.

"If I'm bench pressing seventy-five pounds," I said, "that will still be eight HUGE plates, but they only weigh five pounds each."

"And thirty-five for the bar," he said.

"Right," I said. "So that's seventy-five pounds total, but it will look like I'm doing a lift in the Olympics."

"Everybody will feel good about the weight they're lifting," he said.

"That's right."

"What's the name?" he asked.

"Hmm, that's a good question," I said. "But the word 'swole' definitely needs to be in there."

We went through a variety of unsuitable candidates.

"Hey, what about 'Swag n' Swole'?" Eli asked.

"Oh, that's a winner," I said.

Site Meter