Thursday, May 04, 2017

No Longer The King

Years ago, I tore my right meniscus.

While bowling.

Ironically, this happened only five days after I'd run a marathon.

Until last week, this was the most embarrassing injury story I'd ever heard.

Please note the phrase "until last week."

Also, until last week, I never asked the question "Can you tear your ACL playing hopscotch?"

Now, I never need to, because I know the answer to that question is "yes."

It wasn't me, in case you're wondering. But someone I know was warming up for a workout by playing hopscotch (much longer story), landed poorly, and boom.

It wasn't even his workout.

He was helping a friend who has Parkinson's disease in a non-contact boxing workout. Believe it or not, this kind of exercise helps slow down symptom progression (see more here).

If I understand correctly, there are many types of exercise that can have this effect, particularly those focused on balance.

It's all remarkable, but hopscotch claimed its first victim. Collateral damage.




Site Meter